Friday, July 1, 2011

Audience & Public Writing

An activist would be any person that has a strong interest in a topic and feels passionately about it. Activists can really be anyone; students, teachers, basically anyone from the community that wants to help out. A public writer would appeal to these various activists by getting them involved with certain activities or organizations. For instance, a public writer could do something as simple as create a flyer for an event or maybe submit a write up to a local newspaper, anything that would get the information out there about the event and would persuade people to take action. I think if you are an activist for one cause then you might pay closer attention to other causes because you understand the importance of helping and becoming involved in order to make a difference; I suppose being an activist means you can also be an audience-participant for other causes as well.

The best thing to do in order to get people to participate and care about a cause is to get the information out there, so they can decide for themselves if they want to help out and support a cause. You can’t force anyone to do something, but you can educate them and make them aware of the circumstances. Time is definitely a factor when considering involvement in an organization. Personally, I don’t have time because of school and work to go out and become involved with various organizations. There have been times when I have thought about joining an organization, such as Habitat for Humanity because I think it is a great cause and I would love to support it, but my schedule wouldn’t allow my involvement with the organization. Some people lead rather hectic lives, which makes it difficult to make time for anything else. Public writers can only do so much as to get the message out there to the public, but after that it is up to the community to decide whether or not they want to lend a helping hand to the organization(s).

No comments:

Post a Comment