Saturday, July 2, 2011

THE AUDIENCE THAT CAN MAKE A DIFFERNECE

Lets face it…we live in a busy world and many of us have very hectic lives, therefore it is important to really understand what it is that will encourage someone to participate when appealing to an activist audience. What keywords or stories should we use as writers when attempting to capture the attention and take time away from anyone.

I will share an experience that I believe relates to public writing and volunteering. Last summer I volunteered and was on the committee that put together a big event to raise money for the Stone Street Food Pantry in Bristol RI. The event was called uncorked. My job was to convince local restaurants and other businesses to donate either food or beverages for the party, which was held under a big tent (that was donated too). Myself along with the other volunteers were very successful and the event was a huge hit and everyone a lot of fun…not to mention the fact that we raised over $16,000.00 for the food pantry. I just got an e-mail about volunteering again this summer.

I have some new ideas about how I could help and will use public writing to inspire more people to come to the event and make donations. Everyone wants to gain something out of everything they do, it is human nature and even if actively volunteering or just attending the event makes you feel good about yourself …that is rewarding. I believe the restaurants that donate food are being rewarded with free advertising and good business ethics, and I know I like to support those who support those and so on. This needs to be brought to their attention. If the food pantry uses the internet to advertise this event and really entice local restaurants that by making a donation they can be a part of making a positive difference, than we could really be on to something. The town newspaper did a great story about Uncorked last year. I am hoping that even more businesses will donate this year because of this positive feedback.

I am very busy this summer, so can not commit to doing as much, but I did feel really good about volunteering and now understand that even doing a little bit can make such a big difference. If I take the time and post information about this cause and how anyone can help on my facebook wall, than I am helping in a small way and it is so easy. The Internet has made public writing that much easier. If the word keeps get out and the positive feedback continues, who knows…in a few years local businesses could be begging to be a part of this great charity event!!

No comments:

Post a Comment