Thursday, May 26, 2011

American expansion has lead to unforeseen consequences. As the country has expanded animal habitats have changed and become part of human habitats. The unforeseen consequences of these actions can be seen in the invasion of certain species living in close proximity to humans. The coyote population in American has grown due to expansion and the loss of natural pr editors. This population boom has increased problems with local farmers and families. Researchers have started a program locally that is tagging and tracking the animals with GPS, this has allowed researchers to pin point locations and habits of the animals. Having dealt with the problem until moving to the city this new research is fascinating. Going outside with dogs at night to watch them because of a coyote den in the back yard is time consuming and draining. Not as troubling as going outside and finding your dog nose to nose with a coyote. Being surrounded by this issue and the discussions about preventing attacks, it is interesting to note that hunting of the animals is allowed. There is not technical cold season where they cannot be hunted. Hunting is prevented because of local city and town firearms ban. Basically most towns do not allow the discharge of weapons within city limits, with some exceptions for farmers. The result of these ordinances is that the coyotes do not have pr editors and the population is increasing. But the effects of this increase have very real consequences and there are multiple sides to the argument of how to solve the coyote problem.
http://www2.turnto10.com/news/2011/may/19/ri-farmers-working-scientist-solve-coyote-problems-ar-496259/

I have thought about writing a letter to an editor. I have kept from doing so because of the possible consequences that this may incur. I think I would be willing to write something if I was assured of a lack of consequences. Because something that is written has the possibility of living forever, i would fear that something I had written could come back and bite me at some time in the future. My peer group is a little different than the average college student because I am older. But for the most part everyone that I know remains uninvolved. I think I remain disassociated with political and public events because of the amount of time I spend working and engaging in other activities. Maybe with a little more time, less commitments, and certainly less responsibilities I could involve myself more. But at the end of the day I feel I would remain uninvolved because I do not want to make waves. I have also been taught to stay out of things, especially if they are not my fight or concern. I feel this attitude keeps me uninvolved. Let's face it how many times do you get upset with someone barging into a situation that they have no business being involved in.

I can state for a fact that I remained uninvolved in the political process for most of my life. I registered to vote at 18 and did not vote until I was 29. I lied about voting every time I was asked, I always said sure I did. My family did not find this out until I confessed some years ago. I would not have gone and voted for the first time, but I was forcibly dragged to the polls by my partner. Since then I have been dragged back to the polls every time there is any type of election, local or national. If I was not being dragged I could not say for sure that I would still vote.(Please don't tell) I have a vest stake in what is going on politically, I own a home and pay taxes so I should want to go out and voice my opinion when election time comes around. But I do not feel that way. I have become apathetic to the entire situation. I think that for me and the people that I know to become more involved I would have to be affected more directly than I currently am. But I cannot define how much more affected I would need to be to have a spark lit under me that makes me want to stand up and say no this needs to change. I do not discuss politics in public. I was taught that this is the height of rudeness, along with discussing money and religion. These things are discussed in the home, and all of the leanings that I have are conservative, and I am surround by conservatives. So to say that that I have a firm grasp on what all of my peers feel would be a lie. I can make assumptions from what I have heard. But I cannot attest to fact.

1 comment:

  1. Your topic is very interesting; I had no idea there was a problem with the coyote population. You seem to feel strongly about the issue, which is extremely important when trying to inform others. It will be interesting to see how this issue with the coyotes unfolds and what the community will do about it.

    Also, I completely agree with what you said about how you would be more likely to become actively involved if an issue directly affected you. I feel the same way and would feel more motivated to take action if I personally experienced an issue firsthand.

    ReplyDelete