Thursday, May 26, 2011

For the semester I would like to tie fashion in with the public issue of human rights. Since I have such an interest for fashion and it is such a huge part of everyones daily lives I feel it is important for people to understand where their clothing is coming from. Sweatshops have been violating peoples rights for a very long time and although they are not as popular anymore they are still used among different labels. Located all over the world, designer labels we buy from are outsourcing their garments to these companies for cheaper labor. Ultimately, we are helping to support these shops stay open and continue their cruel and inhumane treatment to people, people like us. Daily, human rights are knowingly violated within the industry for cheaper prices. Peoples dignity and health are being compromised at the coast of cheap labor. 
I have never actually thought about writing a letter to the editor or elected official on this matter.  I am  actually unsure who I would actually address. This is such a general issue involving so many different people and Countries I do not even know where I would start. I think in order for me to actually partake in public writing on an issue I would have to be affected by the issue as selfish as it seems or presented in my face so I can not ignore it. I do not think something is truly understood until experienced and I do not feel I can connect to the issue the way others who have been harmed by it can. Although I may become enraged at the by the present issue it does not seem to hit home and leave a lasting impression. For example, when at PetSmart (I was there earlier today) they ask you to donate money for the pets at the end of your purchase. For the moment you are sympathetic and may even donate ( of course I did!) but once you leave the store you go about your business and you have forgotten about the abused or homeless pets you felt bad for only five minuets ago. There is a moment where the issue has affected you but since it is not personal your life take priority and you are consumed by your petty issues at the time. 
I think a lot of my peers feel the same way and have the attitude of “what can I do”. I can personally speak for myself when saying I am only one person and can I really make a difference? We are taught that it starts with one person but I do not think we have experienced and seen enough change from one person where we actually believe that saying. So we end up with thoughts like what is the point? Also, I feel that many people today try to blend in and go with the flow. Speaking out bring attention and the potential for conflict which most people try to avoid. Thus, avoiding speaking out about different issues or providing assistance to those in need.
“Many media commentator say that young adults are disengaged from the political process, many do not vote, and most are not likely to engage in campaigning for a cause.” Based on my observations of not only my actions but my peers as well I can say I both agree and disagree with these media commentators. During my high school career if I was asked this question I would undoubtedly agree with this statement because none of my friends had a clue about anything political going on. I do not think they even decided on what political party they belonged to. Even when eligible to vote close to none of us did. After being in college I would have to say my friends are all evenly divided. Many know exactly what is going on with the government and elections where as others know absolutely nothing.  Politics do not seem to be something that is stressed as important. It is not taught to be understood it is just explained and left at that. ( in my opinion) If you ask me it seems to be something of a hobby. People who take a liking and interest in politics seem to be the ones who know what is going on and taking the time to vote. Others are too consumed by their daily lives, families, friends and other interests to take the time to learn and understand what is going on. I also feel the whole I am one person what does my vote matter plays a role in people voting as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment