It is going to be my concentration this semester to create my blog on global warming and climate change. With so many different public issues in our world today this is one that has become very interesting to me. Today we are a “green” society, tying to make our world cleaner and eco-friendly. Climate change is something have taken to because this world isn’t just a place that we’re all just living in, it is a place that I hope to continue to grow up in and where my children and grandchildren will grow up in. I want to learn more about global warming and how the world is changing so that if there are things I can do to sustain our world than I will know what they are. I learned a lot from the New York Times and posted an article at the end of my post for further information on global warming and the changes our world is going through at this point in time.
It has crossed my mind multiple times to write a letter to the editor or a public official. On several occasions I have thought about writing a letter to the President on public issues that have caught my attention that I felt I could offer insight on but something held me back from writing the letters. I think a big reason for my hesitation was fear but also the fact that I have this idea in my head that what I send will never be read. Thinking about my actions has actually made me realize that I truly have nothing to lose and in fact I think I will write a letter to the president to fulfill something that’s been on my mind for quite some time. I think that much reluctance from myself and my peers in taking action to write to editors of public officials stems from what I previously said regarding the feeling of not being heard. So many of us see examples of people who try and take action or take a stance and yet never make any extreme strides or produce any immense changes. Many times I think,, if I write a letter is it really going to matter? Does one person have enough power to create change? The motivation and determination resides in our being and from this course already I have an excitement and desire to want to create a blog of my own where I can speak about the things that I am most concerned with. From my perspective as well, I don’t feel that have enough knowledge and insight into everything going on with politics today and although I have feelings towards certain issues, those feelings can’t be backed by much fact. I do believe that kids and students should try and become more knowledgeable about politics so that they can write to editors and officials about what issues they feel strongly about. Politics are apart of all of our lives so sooner or later we’re going to have to become more informed in order to make the right decisions and stand up for what we believe in.
From my own observations I find that many students and kids are disengaged from the political process. There are those select few that rally for a cause on college campuses or help campaign for people running for office, but overall most students and kids don’t take part in much of what goes on surrounding politics. I can speak for myself and from observation to say that I am not involved in politics at all. In the past election I didn’t vote an many times my reason for not voting has nothing to do with the president rather governors etc that I know nothing about. The last elections actually proved to be one of the most successful in terms of the number of younger generations voting. From my observations many students and kids do take the time to vote but many are in the same position as I when it comes to voting for those running for multiple positions. Not many people I know have enough time in their day or week to read about all the issues surrounding our country today. Of course ones such as healthcare and war are constantly front page and often don’t change much so it’s easy for people to stay “up to date” on them. I think that it takes classes like these, forcing students to create a political blog and reading the news, to get us more involved and knowledgeable about what is going on in today’s political sphere. This technological era has made it so easy for any of us to say how we feel and express our thought’s on public issues but yet we don’t take enough advantage of it. As we get older we will be forced to learn about these issues as decisions will be placed in front of us and we will have to decide. It’s just a matter of time.

I think your concentration on global warming is an excellent topic for public writing. There has been a lot of talk recently about the climate changes across the world and now especially in Rhode Island we are experiencing them first hand. I look forward to hearing your take on this issue and discussion on whats being done to help solve this problem
ReplyDelete