Thursday, May 26, 2011

United We Stand

As we enjoy barbeques and time with friends this Memorial Day weekend, it’s important to remember what the holiday truly represents. Thanks to the selfless sacrifices of America’s armed forces, we enjoy a luxury that people in some other countries merely dream of: Freedom. No matter where you stand on the topic of war, I believe that we should all stand together to support the brave men and women of our armed forces. Now more than ever, we need to provide military veterans with the respect and encouragement they deserve.

While thinking of local stories about military veterans- particularly wounded veterans- to mention for this assignment, I thought of the recent Red Sox game on May 22nd. Prior to the game’s 8:05 start against the Chicago Cubs, military service members and veterans were honored during an inspirational pre-game ceremony including: a video message from First Lady Michelle Obama, who commended the Red Sox Foundation and Mass General Hospital for their Home Base program; a parade of active duty military members through the stands and onto the field, where they were greeted by a slew of prominent figures, and then five wounded veterans received home plates signed by Red Sox players; a ceremonial run around the bases by Dorchester-native, USMC Reservist Sgt. Terence Burke, whose wounds sustained in Fallujah, Iraq resulted in the loss of his leg; and the ceremonial first pitch was thrown by purple heart recipient Cpl. Eric Small of the US Army, who was severely wounded during a 2008 deployment to Iraq. It’s clear that the Red Sox proudly support our nation’s military, yet these aforementioned events were only a portion of the day’s activities.

Along with the incredible pre-game ceremony that took place this past weekend, 2,000 military members and supporters came together for the 2nd annual 9k Run to Home Base presented by New Balance. The event has raised over $2.6 million for the Red Sox Foundation and Massachusetts General Hospital Home Base Program, a culmination of services and clinical assistance for veterans, who served in Iraq and Afghanistan, dealing with combat stress and traumatic brain injuries. This event was a great exhibit of the kind of support our military veterans deserve.

I can honestly say that I have thought about writing a letter to an editor or to an elected official, but have never taken the initiative to do so. At this point and in the past, I have never felt comfortable enough about an issue to take action and voice my opinions publicly. I suppose I don’t feel like I’ve had enough experience, or been moved enough to actually do something about it. There are many concerns that coincide with presenting an issue publicly: who will see it, how will it be received, will I be scrutinized, and is it worth it? These thoughts may deter someone from actually going the distance when it comes to writing publicly.

I suppose if I or my loved ones were directly affected by something, and the only way the situation could be resolved was to write publicly, then I would certainly do it. There are so many components that may sway a person to act or not act, so it’s a hard case to argue. Some people just want to be seen and heard, so they will be more likely to write something, but most people simply don’t care enough. I feel as though my peers are more concerned with other areas of life- like partying, drinking, making money- and writing publicly is just not at the top of their list.

Although I can’t speak for all of my peers, I admit that I partially agree with the commentators’ statements concerning the political involvement of my age group. I agree that most people my age don’t really care about politics and what’s going on in the government. I think this stems from thinking most political concerns don’t directly affect them; I find myself in a somewhat similar position. When politicians talk about taxes, social security, union contracts, and uncomfortably controversial issues, I think that my generation tends to turn the other cheek. Unlike older Americans that may experience daily repercussions from these issues, we simply cannot relate. And frankly? It’s boring. During Obama’s presidential campaign, he sought out different mediums to connect with younger Americans. By making himself seem likeable, intelligent, and relatable, Obama succeeded- somewhat- in influencing the minds of young adults.

Yet there is still a definite lack of interest for young people regarding the world of politics. That doesn’t mean my peers aren’t voicing their opinions in support of causes they believe in; there’s definitely no lack of that. With social media sites such as Facebook and Twitter, there is no end to the extent of opinions being emitted by my peers. Companies and causes have been getting much more publicity in the past few years thanks to these social media sites, and my generation has taken notice. By presenting issues in an intriguing manner through the use of internet sites like Facebook or Twitter, I think that there could be more interest in otherwise irrelevant matters.

1 comment:

  1. Very interesting post! I definitely agree with your statements. Both your writing and content kept me interesting in the post. You brought up many points that were "eye openers" for me. The post was especially meaningful to me because I have many loved ones serving in the military and appreciate the support of others and am proud to see my team, the red sox, supporting such an important cause. Perhaps this course will get our age group more involved in politics.

    ReplyDelete