Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Public Writing Audience?

To begin to answer this question one must define who the activists are. I would define it as anyone who has an interest in a given topic and does something about it. The audience that the activist writer would have would then be people who are interested in the same topic. It would most likely include people who are opposed to the topic as well. If there are two sides to a given topic wouldn't you like to know what your opposition is doing and thinking to help rally the people on your own side. The public writer can be a rallier, lobbiest, teacher, any "job" that helps bring people to the cause and helps people understand the cause. The public writer has the oportunity to wear many hats and fulfil many roles in getting their choosen subject out for public consumption.

People who show up to support events are critical to any cause. These are the people that care enought to take time out of their day to support an event or cause that has meaning to their lives. Activists can plan and do all day long but it they don't have the average everyday person showing up to participate in what they plan and do what's the point. They have not been sucsessful because they haven't reached and audience when no one participates. But the bigger question of how to get people to interupt their lives to be involved in a cause is even more interesting. You need to create something that has enought appeal to get people out of their comfort zones and out into the world doing. I know that I see events that look interesting but to actually get me out of the house to participate, I couldn't even define what would get me out and involved. I guess the biggest way to get people involved is to have a cause that directly affects them or that they feel greatly about. I know tomorrow night I'm getting politcally involved in my life, I have to go to a zoning board meeting. I'm involved in this issue because the gas station next door wants to turn into a convience store open to midnight. The only reason that I'm getting involved is because this has a direct affect, if the gas station was two or three houses down I'm sure I wouldn't care.

No comments:

Post a Comment