Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Visual Blogs


In the reading, Visual Blogs I found that it was interesting to see the different types of ways blogs may be set up. I was interested in learning about the visual blogs of just photos because I never thought about blogging to address an issue with just photos. The example of Kate Bingaman’s blog on different pictures she posted to show her purchases seemed kind of interesting, but I did not understand how this type of blogging can be used in a blog that seeks to address a political issue. My blog is on sex trafficking and although I find pictures that relate to my topic, I do not see how only using photos can be effective. I think in Bingaman’s case, it was more for entertainment, but as a tactic of public writing I do not understand how this type of blogging can target an audience that will becoming involved in a serious issue. I think as the article further addresses, “Illustrations in weblogs may initially appear to be less revelatory than photographs, as the artist controls the amount and types of detail included. Yet if we look at a site like James Kochalkas American Elf we can see how illustrations, particularly those paired with text can actually create a very strong sense of intimacy.” I think this kind of blogging does make a deeper impact because it uses the text to illustrate what the picture is presenting and I think the use of text allows the reader to understand the point of what the picture may be and why the author may have chosen to use the photo.
                 As the article presented, visual blogs may be less revealing and may not have the same impact as those that use text. I did a search on google to find picture blogs used for political issues and there was not a match it brought me to other articles that addressed political issues themselves. I also researched picture blogs and many of the searches brought me to entertaining sites such as flickr blog. It seems to me that most of the blogs that are effective in addressing public writing in a political issue are those that use text. I then researched political blogs which I was able to find a website that had a list of different blogs on many political issues http://directory.etalkinghead.com/. Many of the blogs did use text instead of photos to speak about their issues. I think this is important to read because it gives many different examples on blogs that talk about different issues. This may help assist others on how to set up their own blogs and some strategies that can be used in their own public spheres.

No comments:

Post a Comment