Thursday, June 30, 2011

To care or not to care


Merriam Webster defines Activism as “a doctrine or practice that emphasizes direct vigorous action especially in support of or opposition to one side of a controversial issue.” Regarding certain situations, such as relay for life, I see this to be true. However, when considering a public writers audience and/or activist audience, I believe there is room for interpretation and debate.

First, what does it mean to have an audience as a public writer? Personally, having an audience means that there are others that either agree with my topic or are simply interested in reading what I have to say. Although this is an important aspect to public writing, reaching the public, I believe many public writers write to express their opinion and get their ideas “off their chest.” For some, the simple act of writing may be enough satisfaction. And so, who are the activist audiences? I consider those who contribute or respond via contacting the writer or leaving a comment the activist audience as well as those who return and read the public writing regularly. Those who put forth effort in any way and actually care are the activists.

A recent situation I encountered during the spring semester got me thinking about this topic. As a part of the Public Relations Society at URI, I greatly contributed to what I and my fellow executive board considered an amazing opportunity to learn from professionals in the fields of PR, Business, and Communications, and to network with colleagues and professionals. We ran an event titled “Going the distance: make it happen.” Everything went perfectly according to plan; however, attendance could have been better. At the end of the day, it comes down to who really cares and who the activists are. The activist audience that is eager to learn more is what matters. So long as those who care to contribute and put forth some type of effort, whether it be in the planning stage or simply attending, all events are successful. Both parties play a vital role.

Although our organization believes the above as true, the question of how to get people to participate, to care, and to be receptive to our messages still remains. The truth of the matter is people are busy and many do not care to go an extra mile if it does not directly benefit them. In my experience, the event did directly benefit the audience, which was clearly advertised and promoted. Still, very little chose to participate and be receptive to our message. I still have not found a way to solve this problem. I understand and can relate to not being able to find time to support all the things I care about. Personally, I incorporate the things I care most about into my academics and hobbies. For example, majoring in PR and serving as the Public Relations Society President allows me to enjoy my passion for PR while minoring in TMD allows me to enjoy fashion everyday. I base my schoolwork and projects on topics that I care about to give myself time to explore and learn more on the topic. These simple actions help me to be an active audience member.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment