
Who’s Not On-line?
I agree with the predications made about Internet trends, people have re-shaped the Internet. It has been fascinating to learn about and is very interesting to watch how this cyber universe has influenced and re-shaped peoples social universe and beyond.
Personally, over the last few years I have become very dependent on the Internet. I use my lap top daily to do my banking, school work, communicate with friends, read the news, organize my life and so on.
Who’s Not Online states a number of different factors that determine why certain people choose not to or are unable to use a computer to access the web. Some reasons according to Pew (2000) correspond to race, gender, and socio- economic factors. I agree that there are a number of reasons some people are not on-line. The most common reasons that I hear from people who don’t use the computer as often as others include: skepticism about security and credit card fraud, predators, or other concerns about being too accessible. I remember the first time I checked out “Google Earth” and was amazed (maybe a bit horrified) that I could zoom my computer screen into the front door of my home!!
Are those who are not on-line out of the loop? This is a tricky question. I believe that people who want to be in the loop will find a way to do so. And I also agree with supporting public libraries and even encouraging people to get the assistance they may require in order to use this important tool. It is easy to be intimidated by unfamiliar territory and some tend to forget that the Internet is still foreign to certain people. Sometimes the Internet can be an overload of information and a bit distracting especially to someone who is not familiar with navigating his or her way around this cyber world.
I do believe that the computer is in a way like cell phones, I remember not having one but can’t imagine being without it now. I am sure that younger generations are writing for the public at a higher rate than ever before, whether it be on facebook or in an on-line classroom discussion and I believe it will be essential to teach them how to do so appropriately and supply them with the tools to keep them “in the loop”.
No comments:
Post a Comment