The internet have become a part of everyday living for most people from having access on their personal cell phones, computers, and even video game systems that can access the internet have become an important part of people’s everyday routines. Checking emails, news, social media sites, even simple searches have all become popular in modern day. I have also began to notice that a lot of jobs require you to understand how to be familiar with using a computer and even noticed that places such as Burger King have also evolved into a touch screen monitor. Eventually I believe everyone will need to understand how to generally operate a computer in order to gain access to certain types of information, but I do not think that you are not well informed by relying on the computer for the information. While there is a reasonable argument that the internet can be expensive and dangerous, I think that at some point everyone will have to assimilate to the growing epidemic of technology in order to be in the loop of what is going on. As I mentioned before many jobs rely on the basic knowledge of computer use because they are upgrading their systems and equipment to be up to modern day technology. Senior citizens may see this as a challenge or may be disinterested in learning how to use the internet because they did not need or have the resource growing up. It also challenges their qualifications for those who still work and may not understand how to use the internet as well.
I think the article, Who’s Not Online does have a reasonable argument to support the reasons why some may choose not to engage with the growing trend. Personally, my mother does not seem interested in learning how to work a computer or to use the internet. She is an example of a person who does not care to interact with the trend and do not feel that anything is being missed by using the internet. In her case though, if she wants something to be looked up she will ask me or my brother to do it or old fashionably call 411 for a number or use the yellow pages. She would rather to watch the news or read a physical newspaper than to use the internet. I do think eventually though she will have to learn the basics because technology is evolving and the use of the internet is becoming more popular and an everyday activity. Social consequences may be due to the cost of the internet and being able to keep up with the web.
No comments:
Post a Comment